UPDATING 20110730

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Aug 3 23:01:31 UTC 2011

On 08/03/2011 03:39, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 03/08/2011 00:09 Peter Jeremy said the following:
>> An alternative viewpoint is that this is wasteful because data is then
>> double-buffered.
>
> If you stop accessing data on disk after putting it into an application cache,
> then there would not be double-buffering, the OS is free to evict it from its cache.

I agree with Andriy that the OS is smart enough to manage the disk
buffer cache all on its own.

Meanwhile, another detail that I didn't include in previous messages
that I probably should have is that portmaster is already caching a
whole bunch of stuff, which is one of the reasons it's as fast as it is.
In fact, because it does a lot of this caching through environment
variables I have run into problems where attempting to run external
commands with long command lines sometimes fails because there is not
enough memory available. As a result I've been attempting to streamline
both my command lines, and what I cache. I hadn't had this complaint for
a while but I got one the other day, so it looks like I still have some
more work to do in this area.

Doug

			-- OK Go