devel/icu... help... ?

Eitan Adler lists at eitanadler.com
Wed Aug 3 05:51:10 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 10:34 PM, JoelFRodriguez <joel at tahoestores.com> wrote:
> Are you serious? Upgrading the OS on a production machine is a really steep
> price to pay. I've over a thousand working ports and numerous customers that
> I would have to port afterwards.

The official policy is that once a branch goes EOL the porting
framework (bsd.port.mk) is tested and compatible. The QA and package
building scripts are also run on supported branches. Individual ports
are handled by the maintainer of that port. (I'm not a comitter, just
stating what I've read elsewhere)

On a less official note: I've found that maintainers are generally
helpful with this sort of thing and would be willing to apply a patch
to make it work on 6.x if it provided to them.  The maintainer in this
case is office at FreeBSD.org (see "make maintainer")

> You really can't fix what appears to be a reasonable request?

As others in this thread have said: you can't expect us to do the work
for you but it shouldn't be too difficult to do yourself.

This all said I do want to point out that once a branch is EOL no more
security or stability patches are provided. It would be well worth
moving over to a newer version of FreeBSD.

--
Eitan Adler