UPDATING 20110730

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Tue Aug 2 20:39:05 UTC 2011

on 02/08/2011 23:08 Doug Barton said the following:
> On 08/02/2011 12:12, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>> on 02/08/2011 21:26 Doug Barton said the following:
>>>
>>> That's a reasonable idea, but moderately complex to do. I'll put it on
>>> "the list" but it's not going to be a priority since in non-worst-case
>>> scenarios it's generally quite fast as it is.
>>>
>>> Meanwhile thanks for digging further into your situation and confirming
>>> that it's a local problem.
>>
>> Well, yes with a little bit of no.
>> I will repeat myself: currently portmaster's performance relies on the fact that
>> certain often used data originating from disk is actually cached in memory by
>> the OS.
>
> And I will repeat myself, one last time. The assumptions that portmaster
> makes are reasonable under typical conditions, but can be improved which
> I will do in due course. However, your conditions are very non-typical,
> including but not limited to: slow disk, small amount of ram, zfs on a
> slow disk with a small amount of ram, poorly tuned zfs on a slow disk
> with a small amount of ram, and a large'ish number of ports installed.

Just a few small corrections:
- the disks are not that slow (not sure how you deduced that): Seagate Barracuda
7200.12
- the RAM is not that small: 4GB
- ZFS is not in such a bad environment as you portrayed it
- ZFS is not so poorly tuned, ARC size above 1GB should be sufficient for a
desktop-ish machine
- the number of ports is not so large-ish for a desktop-ish machine

> I get that you're disappointed with portmaster's performance under these
> circumstances, and I've already said that I will do what I can, when I
> can, to improve that. Hopefully I won't need to repeat myself again. :)

I got this.

--
Andriy Gapon