FreeBSD Port: postfix-2.8.4,1

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Mon Aug 1 20:54:31 UTC 2011

Olli Hauer wrote:
> On 2011-08-01 12:55, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I upgraded postfix-2.8.3,1 to postfix-2.8.4,1 yesterday and today I
>> realized, that postfix is nolonger in my manualy defined group
>> (maildirs:*:3125:postfix). I use this setting for many years without
>> problem.
>>
>> After the change to "use the ports framework to create USERS and
>> GROUPS" it means broken installation after upgrade.
>>
>> 1] I don't think it is good to touch user's customizations in users
>> or groups especially removing something silently
>>
>> 2] If something like this change happend, it should be mentioned in
>> UPDATING
>>
>> Am I forced to do manual work (adding postfix to my group) after
>> each upgrade?
>>
>> Miroslav Lachman
>

> Hi Miroslav,
>
> what do you mean with "postfix is nolonger in my manualy defined group"?

I have postfix in group maildirs on my servers:

maildirs:*:3125:postfix

This is my group created many years ago (the server start its life as
FreeBSD 6.0, now it runs 8.2). I am using this group for mail
directories on all of my mailservers.

> In the postfix port there was no code to remove the postfix user from
> any group or delete the postfix user.
> If my speculation is correct and this was not a fresh install, then the
> postfix user is now member of the groups *mail, postfix and maildirs*.

Today (after Postfix upgrade) I have this in daily report:

Backup passwd and group files:
elsa.codelab.cz group diffs:
34c34
< maildirs:*:3125:postfix
---
 > > maildirs:*:3125:

So I looked in to /etc/group and found that postfix is no longer member
of the group maildirs:

maildirs:*:3125:

I must re-add it to group maildirs, so now I have it right:

 > id postfix
uid=125(postfix) gid=125(postfix) groups=125(postfix),6(mail),3125(maildirs)

Miroslav Lachman