Idea: entries in UPDATING for each release

Wesley Shields wxs at FreeBSD.org
Tue Sep 28 23:53:22 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 12:07:08PM -0600, Warren Block wrote:
> Right now, people who install ports from a -release CD and then start
> upgrading don't have a clear marker for how far back to go in UPDATING.
>
> A simple entry would be enough:
>
>    20100703:
>      AFFECTS:
>      AUTHOR:
>
>      FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE
>
> Not sure what AFFECTS should say.  There might be other useful
> information that could be included in the note.  Comments?

I'm certainly not opposed to the idea but what exactly do we use for a
date? When the tree is tagged? When the release media is finalized and
published to mirrors? What about tag slippage? Do we account for that?

If the only goal is to get a rough idea of when a release was cut then
either when the tree is tagged or when the media is pushed out to
mirrors is probably sufficient.

-- WXS