'mbuffer' broken for network support / pipes under 7.2-R / 8.1-R?

Karl Pielorz kpielorz_lst at tdx.co.uk
Thu Sep 23 14:00:58 UTC 2010

--On 23 September 2010 16:49 +0400 Ruslan Mahmatkhanov <cvs-src at yandex.ru>
wrote:

> Hi Karl,
> sorry about webmail formatting.

Yeah, it certainly mangled the original mail when quoting it! <g>

> Try to add this line into port's Makefile, and then reinstall mbuffer:
> CFLAGS+=-m64
>
> See if your 'network i/o' test case now passes.

Makes no difference - it *doesn't fail* for network I/O (it completes fine)
- it just dumps a single line to stderr at the start, which says:

"
mbuffer: warning: unable to set socket buffer size: No buffer space
available
"

Adding '-m64' didn't get rid of that, or any of the compile time warnings...

I can live with the warning (better than it not working at all! :) - unless
it might be doing something nasty (like messing up network performance -
though it seems to be getting close to wire speed for transfers).

-Karl