portupgrade bugzilla fails with mysql > 4 installed

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Sep 22 19:23:40 UTC 2010

On 22/09/2010 16:29:46, Tim Kellers wrote:
>  The message while portupgrading bugzilla:
>
> "bugzilla-3.6.2_1 depends on package: p5-DBD-mysql>=2.9003 - not found
> Verifying reinstall for p5-DBD-mysql>=2.9003 in
> /usr/ports/databases/p5-DBD-mysql
>
> p5-DBD-mysql-4.017 conflicts with installed package(s):
> p5-DBD-mysql50-4.017
>
> They install files into the same place.
> Please remove them first with pkg_delete(1)"
>
> The problem in Makefile:
>
> ".ifdef WITH_MYSQL
> RUN_DEPENDS+=   p5-DBD-mysql>=2.9003:${PORTSDIR}/databases/p5-DBD-mysql
> USE_MYSQL=      yes
> IGNORE_WITH_MYSQL=      323
> .endif"
>

> For MySQL 5.0, I simply changed the references to p5-DBD-mysql to
> p5-DBD-mysql50 and the conflict was removed and portupgrade succeeded,
> but there must be a more thorough and elegant way.

If you use the >=$version construct in a DEPENDS line, it forces the
ports system to check that a specific port is installed, as well as
ensuring that the version requirement is met.

Alternately, look at the databases/mytop port I maintain.  There it uses
the standard form of dependency checking, like so:

RUN_DEPENDS=
${SITE_PERL}/${PERL_ARCH}/DBD/mysql.pm:${PORTSDIR}/databases/p5-DBD-mysql \

ie. it checks for the existence of a specific file.  It doesn't matter
what port provides that file -- if any -- so long as the file exists,
the dependency is satisfied.  Only if the file is missing will the port
install the suggested databases/p5-DBD-mysql to fulfil that dependency.

So you can install p5-DBD-mysql51 and mytop will happily co-exist if
installed after it.

Now, version 2.9003 of p5-DBD-mysql was current around April 2005 --
version 3.0000 came out on 30 June 2005.  Is it still really necessary
to protect against installing software incompatible with that version?

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3