Distributed Version Control for ports(7) ( was: Re: autoconf update )

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 08:50:38 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 3:27 AM, <perryh at pluto.rain.com> wrote:

> As I understand it, what is being suggested is the adoption of a
> new code base for a significant piece of infrastructure.  I think
> the proposal is at less risk of being summarily rejected if it can
> viably be based on BSD-licensed code rather than on GPL'd code.

This  dvcs is BSD licensed:

http://www.fossil-scm.org/index.html/doc/tip/www/index.wiki

I believe it was originally GPL'd, and the author converted it BSD based
license on request.  The requests came from multiple people who didn't want
to to incorporate GPL into their project(s).

There is an interview about it here:

http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/2010/07/bsdtalk194-fossil-scm-with-d-richard.html

Anyways, IMO license is quite a large deal when you're making this sort of
decision.  OS code infrastructure has a way of expanding around what's
used(eg csup in base) and you'd want to ensure any potential development
paths are not hindered by LICENSE.

--
Adam Vande More