[ports/net/isc-dhcp*] Don't stop DHCP related daemons

Wesley Shields wxs at FreeBSD.org
Sun Sep 12 00:09:29 UTC 2010

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 05:33:59PM +0300, Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 22:29:02 +0900
> Norikatsu Shigemura <nork at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi wxs and jpaetzel.
> >
> > 	I noticed that dhcpd server stoped after portupgrade,
> > sometimes. It's a painful accident on my network.  Because I didn't
> > notice some troubles:-(.
> >
> > 	Why do you stop the daemons? Is it really absolutely necessary
> > 	to stop a service before it's files go away?
> >
> > 	SEE ALSO:
> > 	http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/rc-scripts.html#AEN5402
> >
> > $ grep forcestop isc-dhcp*/pkg-plist
> > isc-dhcp31-relay/pkg-plist:@unexec %D/etc/rc.d/isc-dhcrelay.sh
> > forcestop 2>/dev/null || true isc-dhcp31-relay/pkg-plist:@unexec
> > %D/etc/rc.d/isc-dhcrelay forcestop 2>/dev/null || true
> > isc-dhcp31-server/pkg-plist:@unexec %D/etc/rc.d/isc-dhcpd.sh
> > forcestop 2>/dev/null || true isc-dhcp31-server/pkg-plist:@unexec
> > %D/etc/rc.d/isc-dhcpd forcestop 2>/dev/null || true
> > isc-dhcp41-relay/pkg-plist:@unexec %D/etc/rc.d/isc-dhcrelay.sh
> > forcestop 2>/dev/null || true isc-dhcp41-relay/pkg-plist:@unexec
> > %D/etc/rc.d/isc-dhcrelay forcestop 2>/dev/null || true
> > isc-dhcp41-server/pkg-plist:@unexec %D/etc/rc.d/isc-dhcpd forcestop
> > 2>/dev/null || true
> >
> > 	I want to remove these lines in pkg-plist.
>
> This 'stop the service before we install' seems to be a new fashion,
> usually unneeded/disruptive.
> IMO this should only happen when it's really needed, and with some big
> warning printed.

This is there because that is how the old ISC ports were done. I'm not a
fan of this at all. If it doesn't break upgrades I'm going to remove it.

Ports/packages should keep their grubby little hands off my services. ;)

-- WXS