XPI infrastructure needs some love

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Sep 7 18:37:07 UTC 2010

On 09/07/2010 09:39 AM, Lapo Luchini wrote:
> Dear port committers,
>      I understand that infofarmer@ and miwi@ have no more enough free
> time to be hyper-active about those and other ports (and btw, thanks
> very much for the huge work you did in the past!), but is out there
> anyone else out there with both a commit bit and some time on hand to
> give a bit of love to the XPI ports?

This might be a good time to re-evaluate how we handle those ports in
the first place. How many of them involve actual C or C++ code that
needs to be compiled to run, vs. simply re-packaging javascript bits?
(That's a serious question btw, not a troll.) For those that we are
simply repackaging, what's the value in doing that, vs. simply allowing
users to download them from mozilla's site?

I use quite a few addons for both firefox and thunderbird and the only
FreeBSD version I use is enigmail, which (AFAIK) actually does require
compilation. Everything else I download, and have never had a problem.

Doug

			-- Propellerheads