what next for the pkg_install rewrite

David Forsythe dforsyth at FreeBSD.org
Fri Sep 3 18:28:02 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 2:52 AM, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt at freebsd.org> wrote:

> sqlite if we goes on is BSD-like licensed so it should ne be a problem...
> That would be great, the json lib I use for testing purpose cjson
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/cjson/)...

Okay, I'll pull both of these in when I get a chance.  I might
actually be able to use cjson to help with the logging I need to do in
the database and in the install phase.

> How hard would it be to add support for the new manifest on you libpkg which is
> really great by the way :)

After looking at cjson I could probably add support in a couple of
hours.  Some things in my lib aren't finalized though, so I wouldn't
recommend spending time on it right now.

> How hard would it be to allow other developers to work with you on libpkg?
> separate the tasks etc.

Before and during the summer it would have been pretty simple because
I was working on git and hg.  At the end of the summer I decided to
move over to p4 until I have at least the entire current pkg system
supported (and then I'll probably move the project back over to a git
repo).  Anyone can look at that and submit patches, but I don't want
to create a communal repository until I'm "finished" with the lib.
I'm in an... interesting... situation right now, I just moved and my
bsd machine has no way of getting on the internet.  I do have some
pretty big changes in the pipeline that I haven't been able to commit
yet, though (namely logging in the database and some naming convention
changes), so go ahead and look, but I really wouldn't recommend
touching too much for a while because a lot of stuff might change.