what next for the pkg_install rewrite

Tim Kientzle kientzle at freebsd.org
Thu Sep 2 16:19:50 UTC 2010

On Sep 2, 2010, at 12:34 AM, David Forsythe wrote:

> Separating ports and packages is silly, because they need to coexist.
> Like gcooper pointed out, ports should be using the pkg tools to build
> and install packages.

I've been impressed with how MacPorts handles this.
If I understand correctly, you can specify a package you
want and the options you want with it and the system will
download a pre-built package with those options
(if one exists) or pull the source and  build the port,
all transparently.

Even better, the central repository sees all of these
requests, so can prioritize which option sets are
most popular.

Tim