Issue wit Samba 3.5.6 and Mac OS X 10.5

Dr. Rolf Jansen rj at cyclaero.com
Sat Oct 30 14:12:57 UTC 2010

Hi,

this is my first post to a FreeBSD mailing list, and I hope that I chose the correct one for my question, if not, then please simply point me to correct list.

One month ago I setup a FreeBSD 8.1 home server and I installed Samba 3.4.9 for the file services. I have Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6, as well as Windows XP and Windows 7 clients. All clients could connect to the Samba 3.4 shares at the FreeBSD server.

The day before yesterday, I upgraded samba 3.4.x to samba 3.5.6. I preserved smb.conf, but I recreated the user database using smbpasswd -a. Already Samba 3.4.9 was setup with tdbsam, and I kept this for 3.5.6 (as the smb.conf stayed the same).

I can connect without problems from Windows XP, 7 and Mac OS X 10.6.4 to the shares at the FreeBSD server with the new Samba 3.5.6, but connection from the Mac OS X 10.5 clients (two different machines) are refused. The respective samba log files show:

[2010/10/30 10:10:40.379042,  0] smbd/sesssetup.c:1703(reply_sesssetup_and_X)
  reply_sesssetup_and_X:  Attempted encrypted session setup without negprot denied!

QUESTIONS

a) Perhaps a respective default setting has been changed from
   Samba 3.4.9 to Samba 3.5.6. So are there any settings about
   negprot, that I can try?

a) If not, what is "negprot" and how can I setup
   Mac OS X 10.5 to provide the required negprot to Samba 3.5?

b) If not, can I switch of encryption? Samba at the FreeBSD server
   is strictly in house only, so there is no need for encryption,
   and hence for negprot.

Many thanks for any reply.

Best regards

Rolf