pkg_add -r could be better?

Aragon Gouveia aragon at phat.za.net
Thu Oct 28 19:16:40 UTC 2010

Hi,

I've recently started building custom packages and had hoped to consume
them locally with 'pkg_add -r'.  In short, pkg_add breaks with many of
the custom built packages with messages such as:

pkg_add: could not find package sqlite3-3.7.2 !
pkg_add: pkg_add of dependency 'nss-3.12.6_3' failed!

Upon investigation it looks like 'pkg_add -r' is highly dependent on
@pkgdep entries being listed in an order such that dependencies without
recursive dependencies come first and satisfy all recursive dependencies
lower down.  No attempt is made to recursively fetch dependencies
remotely so failure to list dependencies in the correct order results in
pkg_add failing to find the package file to install.

For some reason my custom builds have @pkgdep entries added in an
incorrect order.  They're all built using 'make package' in a standard
ports infrastructure so I can't imagine why the difference, but let me
not digress.

Anyone else aware of and annoyed with this behaviour of 'pkg_add -r'?
Surely it should recursively fetch dependencies instead of relying on
the ports infrastructure specially crafting packages?  I believe this
answers another issue that was annoying me:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2010-October/064047.html

Are patches to fix pkg_add welcome, or is there a bigger picture I'm
missing?

Thanks,
Aragon