lang/php5 extensions and autoconf - make configure aborts

John Marshall john.marshall at riverwillow.com.au
Sun Oct 24 20:38:14 UTC 2010

I tripped over this when attempting to build 3 different php5 extensions
on Saturday...

  ----------------
  # cd /usr/ports/textproc/php5-xsl
  # make clean configure
  ===>  Cleaning for php5-xsl-5.3.3_2
  ===>   php5-xsl-5.3.3_2 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/autoconf-2.68 - found
  ===>  PHPizing for php5-xsl-5.3.3_2
  Configuring for:
  PHP Api Version:         20090626
  Zend Module Api No:      20090626
  Zend Extension Api No:   220090626
  Cannot find autoconf. Please check your autoconf installation and the
  $PHP_AUTOCONF environment variable. Then, rerun this script.

  *** Error code 1

  Stop in /usr/ports/textproc/php5-xsl.
  ----------------

I was puzzled because the autoconf dependendency was fine.  If I set the
environment variable $PHP_AUTOCONF to point to /usr/local/bin/autoconf
then the make would fall over with a similar error regarding autoheader.
If I also set $PHP_AUTOHEADER to point to /usr/local/bin/autoheader then
the build (of whichever extension) worked.

I had  another look this morning and noticed that make configure on
lang/php5 was clean but make configure on extensions was failing.  I
wondered what would happen if I rebuilt lang/php5.  Rebuilding and
reinstalling lang/php5 cleared the problem and extensions now build
happily.

--
John Marshall