License Framework: Develop Best Practices

Marco Bröder marco.broeder at gmx.eu
Sat Oct 23 18:09:29 UTC 2010

On Tue June 15 2010 23:22:35 Wesley Shields wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 02:46:27AM +0200, Marco Bröder wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I know the ports license framework is very new and not mature yet.
> >
> > But it is not very useful in its current state, because several
> > popular licenses are missing and some license foo is not right /
> > specific enough to be considered legally correct (for example there is
> > no 'one BSD License', there are at least three of them, all legally
> > different). The legal consequences of even very small differences can
> > be very huge. We actually have to make this legally right or the whole
> > thing is useless.
> >
> > Some maintainers already added some license foo to their ports. At the
> > moment there is more guessing than knowing what actually should be
> > done from a maintainers point of view. This is especially true for
> > dual / multi / combo licensing (for example 'GPLv2 or any later
> > version' is not really the same as 'GPLv2 or GPLv3' combo).
> >
> > Before this even grows, could we please start developing best
> > practices and document them into Porters Handbook, as soon as
> > possible? Thanks!
>
> I couldn't agree more. I've been holding off until the Porter's Handbook
> has clear documentation on what maintainers need to know. I've included
> alepulver@ on this as he is the one that wrote the initial support for
> this. I'd hate to see this grow into a mess that has to be cleaned up
> later because there isn't proper documentation for maintainers.
>
> Hopefully Alejandro has a PH update in the wings? If not then I guess
> it's up to someone(TM) to do it.
>
> -- WXS

I neither saw a reply from alepulver@ nor anything else on this subject. Are
there any further news? There was nothing added to the Porter's Handbook, too.
So I guess the situation did not change within the last months, right?

Unfortunately, with a recent update to one of my ports (the software is -GPLv2
or any later version- licensed) the committer added the LICENSE / LICENSE_COMB
foo at his own without asking. I find this annoying, because I purposely did
not add it. Something like that should be the maintainer's choice, because he
is also responsible for the port.

I think the LICENSE stuff should generally not be added until the whole
subject is clarified and properly documented, which does not seem to be the
case, especially from the legal point of view.

What should the license framework be? Looks like nobody really seems to care
(enough).

Will it remain a legally incorrect and unreliable stuff? Then, there is no
need to actually care about it and the whole license framework is pretty
much useless in a legal sense. But that must be stated explicitly.

Or should it be as correct as possible? Then it is necessary to have the
licenses at least correctly defined and used like they exist (see my original
mail quoted above and below, especially the '[L]GPLv2 or any later version'
and the three BSD licenses).

Will there be an official consensus? Will there be rules or disclaimers for
maintainer's and committer's responsibility? Will the whole thing be properly
documented in the Porter's Handbook? Will the licenses be correctly defined in
'ports/Mk/bsd.licenses.db.mk' or will some of them remain incorrectly
simplified?

The license framework could be very nice and actually useful - if
properly done ...

--
Regards