daemontools port options

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Mon Oct 18 07:11:57 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 10:31:07AM -0400, Jerry wrote:
> The "sysutils/daemontools" port has a few options for the port. The
> three I have a question about are listed below along with their default
> settings:
>

> S_EARLY  "Start early, before the normal daemons" off
> S_NORMAL "Start normally in the usual boot sequence" on
> SIGQ12   "Add svc support for QUIT, USR1, and USR2 signals" off
>
> I was wondering if there is any strategic advantage to using the
> "S_EARLY" option as opposed to the default setting.

Imagine your DNS server is running as a service.  You want it to start
before most of the network services have a chance to try using it :)

> Also, if I have a program(s) that are routinely restarted via "USR1",
> such as clamav, should I activate the "SIGQ12" option? I am not even
> sure exactly what support it enables.

It adds the -1, -2, and -q options to the svc(8) command-line tool,
and yes, that's pretty much exactly what you want - if you're running
clamav as a service, you can now do "svc -1 /var/service/clamav" and
it'll get a USR1 signal.

G'luck,
Peter

--