www/red5

joris dedieu joris.dedieu at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 12:29:55 UTC 2010

Hi,
www/red5 is outdated

I try to rebuild it.
Currently the port download red5 binary distribution from red5.org and
install a war file
into tomcat's webapps dir.

Red5 binary distribution does not provides a war file anymore but only
the standalone server.

So I have different options :

1 - fetch

- fetching the binary distribution so that the port has no build and
only provide the standalone server.
- hosting (I can do it in almost 2 or 3 machines) a source
distribution from svn (see http://red5.rmdi.fr)
  so that the port can build the standalone server or / and the war
file and / or (I have to see that) the cluster suite

2 - installing the standalone server

The standalone server is a one directory application (ie it has his
own log , conf, webapps directories).
I tried to split it with var, share and etc support but some
applications won't work this way (eg logging in ./log directory)
without a specific reconfiguration.

Do you think it should be installed in   ${JAVASHAREDIR}/${PORTNAME}
(see http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/using-java.html#JAVA-BEST-PRACTICES)
or in ${PREFIX}/${PORTNAME} like tomcat ?

3 - installing the war file

The war file can be installed in several location. Depending on which
application server you are using (tomcat, jboss...). So I think to
install it in  ${JAVASHAREDIR}/${PORTNAME} and maybe provide a
variable to change this.

4 - category and user

Red5 is not a http server. It use http for management, but it provide
network protocols has rtmp. So I think the right categories are java
net and not http. Red5 standalone also need a unprivileged user.
Should I create a new one or use www ?

This are my reflexions for this port.
Thanks for your feedback

Joris