Users needed or not by ports

David DEMELIER demelier.david at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 15:56:39 UTC 2010

2010/10/12 Florent Thoumie <flz at xbsd.org>:
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 5:01 PM, David DEMELIER
> <demelier.david at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Before writing a patch for the ports framework, I just want to be sure
>> that FreeBSD ports shouldn't use a same user added by ports. For
>> example pulseaudio adds some users to the system (pulse,
>> pulse-whatever) and should these users be needed from others ports ?
>>
>> My plan is :
>>
>> 1. Register users added and needed by ports in files like +USERS +GROUPS,
>> 2. When make deinstall or pkg_delete port_name check if the user is
>> still needed by other port (if this is possible)
>> 3. Print a message like "The following users and group are not needed
>> anymore by the system : xxx yyy"
>>
>> pkgsrc already use something like this, so a port should be really
>> easy to be done.
>
> This has already been discussed (including in a thread that you started [1]).
>
> This needs support in both ports and pkg_install.
>
> [1] http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-ports@freebsd.org/msg27486.html
>
> --
> Florent Thoumie
> flz at FreeBSD.org
> FreeBSD Committer

Yes, for pkg_install I think I will talk to bapt because he's working
on pkgng so maybe he has a great idea and a better knowledge in C, for
the moment I made some changes in ports/Mk directory but not finished.
I still need to know if a multiple ports could use a same user that
has been added by one of them.

I don't find any good example for this issue.

--
Demelier David