OPTIONS

David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
Wed Oct 6 08:40:42 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 11:34:52AM -0700, David O'Brien (@FreeBSD) wrote:
> > 2010/10/3 Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk>:
> > > In fact, you might just as well write a small HTML form, display it
> > > using lynx or w3c or some other text mode browser[*], and then have the
> > > form action feed into a CGI program that outputs a small Makefile with
> > > appropriate variable definitions in it.
>
> I like this statement -- as it shows just how complex this will get when
> taken to its natural conclusion.

This is also how ridiculous things can get:

curl 7.21.1 now offers me:
    [X] WERROR       Treat compilation warnings as errors

    Can the port maintainer really not decide if that should just be
    turned off or turned on for FreeBSD?!?

    Do *I* really need to think about this one?

    But of course it doesn't offer me turning on NOPORTDOCS or
    NOPORTEXAMPLES, which would be useful.
    [I don't think any ports do...]

cscope 15.7a offers me:
    [ ] XCSCOPE  Install (X)Emacs package

    Do we really need to be bothered with OPTIONS to avoid installing an
    87K .el file?!?

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)
A: Why is top-posting (putting a reply at the top of the message) frowned upon?