Upgrading Samba

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Mon Oct 4 20:01:05 UTC 2010

On 09/22/10 23:58, Bob Eager wrote:

Thanks for your answer.

> My logbook says that it wanted to use /var/run/samba34 (a directory)
> instead of the previous default. That was easy.

In fact, yes, I too had to copy some files around, but that was more
than easy.

 > Probably wasn't necessary, but I moved smbusers
 > to /usr/local/etc/samba34, and updated smb.conf.

I did the same with smbpasswd.

> Also that smbd wouldn't start because it needed the avahi-app package
> (and dependencies) but this presumably wasn't listed as a dependency
> because I had to install it by hand.

No need for that in my case, but I didn't choose avahi in "make config".

> I had to re-add the user rights for some reason - YMMV - this may be
> the use of different directories for 3.4.

Not sure what you mean.

In any case, I had samba34 working in a little more than a few minutes,
with users still accessing shares, XP machines still doing domain logons
and the new W7 box integrated at first try.

So far so good, it seemed, but it was not so.

First, I noticed profiles could not be copied back on the server at
logoff: a quick search pointed to full_audit being buggy and in fact
removing it turned out to be the correct workaround.
What I find strange is that it is deamed as not working in 3.4.7, but
corrected in 3.4.8; this is evidently not true.
Later I upgraded to 3.4.9, but had no time to test it again.
I will ASAP and eventually report on the Samba newsgroup.

The second problem is harder: pam_smb stopped working, so I had domain
logons and file sharing ok, but any other service rejecting users.
I could not come to any solution to this; I even tried pam_smbpass and
setting up winbindd, but to no avail.
Time was not on my side, so I ended up putting every password into the
UNIX database and forget about PAM for the moment.
However I'll have to fix this soon, so I'm in search of any hint on how
to debug this.
I tried putting "debug" next to pam_smb_auth.so in /etc/pam.d/*, but
this didn't help much.

Using Postgres (as an example) I get in my logs:
xxxxxx pamsmbd[93053]: cache_check: no entry
xxxxxx pamsmbd[93053]: server: remote auth user unix:yyyyy nt:yyyyy
NTDOM:ZZZZZZ PDC:XXXXXX BDC:XXXXXX
xxxxxx postgres[16385]: pamsmbd: Got something back... 3
xxxxxx pamsmbd[93053]: cache_check: no entry
xxxxxx pamsmbd[93053]: server: remote auth user unix:yyyyy nt:yyyyy
NTDOM:ZZZZZZ PDC:XXXXXX BDC:XXXXXX
xxxxxx postgres[16387]: pamsmbd: Got something back... 3

but then:

psql: FATAL:  PAM authentication failed for user "yyyyy"
FATAL:  PAM authentication failed for user "yyyyy"

In the meantime, I get absolutely nothing in /var/log/samba34/log.smbd.

Any hint?

  bye & Thanks
	av.