OPTIONS

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Sun Oct 3 11:10:38 UTC 2010

Dominic Fandrey wrote:
> On 03/10/2010 11:45, David DEMELIER wrote:
>> 2010/10/3 Matthew Seaman<m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk>:
>> I don't want something complex, checkbox, textbox, radiobuttons is enough.
>
> Textbox is _very_ complex. Think of all the code you'd have to
> add to ports to check what was entered by the user.
> At the very least you have to verify that whatever was provided
> is valid. For the feature not to become annoying you'd have to
> be a lot more fuzzy and complex, though.

You don't need to. It is the same as if user put something wrong in to
make.conf, ports.conf or even if somebody do:

cd /usr/ports/databases/mysql51-server
make WITH_CHARSET=UTF13 WITH_XCHARSET=1 WITH_COLLATION=true

All of them are invalid and not checked by ports framework, so if
somebody implements textbox in to OPTIONS framework, the situation will
not be worse! Situation will be better for those users not familiar with
WITH_XXXX knobs.

Miroslav Lachman