editors/vim installs to /

Sean C. Farley scf at FreeBSD.org
Sat Oct 2 15:28:39 UTC 2010

On Fri, 1 Oct 2010, David O'Brien wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 05:38:21PM -0700, Rob Farmer wrote:
>> However, I still think it would benefit everyone if the maintainer
>> could provide an explanation for some of the current behavior and
>> would at least be open to discussion about changing it.  The biggest
>> problem here, IMHO, is not the OPTIONS issue, but rather the use of
>> GTK 1 as the default.
>
> I have commented on GTK2 (explained) in the past.
> It is the kitchen sink that gtk2 brings in vs. gtk1.  On my desktop
> gtk2 requires 64 other packages.  gtk1 requires 20.
>
> I guess its time to take another survey.  Is Vim one of the few last
> gtk1 consumers?

It probably is.  Nothing I have installed uses GTK1.  Actually, this
includes Vim since I have it using Athena widgets.  :)

BTW, I just noticed by chance that Vim compiled with Athena widgets for
the GUI has no dependency on libXaw.  This is all the dependencies on my
Vim install with a working gvim:

Dependency: python26-2.6.6
Dependency: cscope-15.7a
Dependency: libiconv-1.13.1_1