user options for regression-test?

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bristol.ac.uk
Sun Nov 28 01:18:18 UTC 2010

I'm trying to add regression tests to my port.
The tests can be run with various levels of
verbosity of output. I'd like to let the
user to choose the verbosity for tests.

At present I've this:

regression-test check test: build
        @${ECHO_CMD} "Testing static SLATEC library."
        @${ECHO_CMD} "******* Default print verbosity level is 0.\
                Change in Makefile if required."
        ${ECHO_CMD} 0 > ${WRKDIR}/.printlevel
        ${MAKE} -C ${WRKDIR}

The verbosity is a number 0,1,2 or 3, which
I write to a file. The tests then read this file.

Is this acceptable?
Is there a better way?
Can OPTIONS be used under regression-test target?
Or maybe it's best to add a variable, something like

.if ! defined(PRINT_LEVEL)
        @${ECHO_CMD} "******* Default print verbosity level is 0"
	PRINT_LEVEL=0
.endif

and then use PRINT_LEVEL in test routines?

many thanks
anton

--
Anton Shterenlikht