Renaming a shared library in the port-framework to match FreeBSD naming schemes?

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Tue Nov 23 00:00:26 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 08:20:28PM +0200, Andrew W. Nosenko wrote:
[snip]
> Seems, like you think that Xerces authors use libNAME-VER.so naming
> scheme, while FreeBSD uses libNAME.so.VER ...

Just as a data point, it's possible (I'm not sure if it's the case with
Xerces, but it *is* the case with other libraries) that the OP is right.

The Debian Policy Manual recently had to be amended a bit to allow for
shared library files named as libfoo-<version>.so; for a full discussion
(long!... no, I mean it - *really* long!), see:
http://bugs.debian.org/509932

So it seems that there are projects that actually do it that way.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at space.bg    roam at ringlet.net    roam at FreeBSD.org
"yields falsehood, when appended to its quotation." yields falsehood, when appended to its quotation.