FreeBSD Port: python27-2.7.0_1

John Hein jhein at symmetricom.com
Sun Nov 14 03:17:31 UTC 2010

John Hein wrote at 15:55 MDT on Oct 30, 2010:
 > Maxim Khitrov wrote at 15:42 -0400 on Oct 30, 2010:
 >  > On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 2:46 PM, Sylvain Garrigues <sylgar at gmail.com> wrote:
 >  > > Hello,
 >  > >
 >  > > I am using FreeBSD 8.1 and I would like to know the reasons
 >  > > why it has been decided that the default Python installation
 >  > > is 2.6 and not 2.7.
 >  > >
 >  > > Thanks in advance.
 >  >
 >  > Add "PYTHON_DEFAULT_VERSION=python2.7" to /etc/make.conf.

To answer Sylvain's original query, 2.7 is fairly new still.  When a
sufficent amount of testing has occurred that indicates 2.7 has no
regressions, then someone will throw the switch.  Of course, what
constitutes a sufficient amount of testing is somewhat subjective.  So
the more use it gets by early adopters (such as yourself presumably),
the higher the confidence in being able to update the default.

I've been using python27 for a couple months now without any problems.
To help get the default switched from 2.6 to 2.7, request it and
report any successes (and problems) here and/or submit PRs.

A search in the PR database for python27 doesn't turn up any
significant problems.

It will also probably require at least one full ports test build.  I
don't know if one has been requested.