Renamed Haskell Applications

jhell jhell at DataIX.net
Wed May 26 20:16:31 UTC 2010

On Wed, 26 May 2010 11:49, Dmitry Marakasov wrote:
In Message-Id: <20100526154941.GC25216 at hades.panopticon>

> * jhell (jhell at dataix.net) wrote:
>
>>> Recently I have tagged the following popular but Cabalized applications
>>> in the Ports Collection with the "hs-" prefix:
>>>
>>> - darcs [1]: devel/darcs -> devel/hs-darcs
>>> - pandoc [2]: textproc/pandoc -> textproc/hs-pandoc
>>> - xmonad [3]: x11-wm/xmonad -> x11-wm/hs-xmonad, x11-wm/xmonad-contrib
>>> -> x11-wm/hs-xmonad-contrib
>>> - xmobar [4]: x11/xmobar -> x11/hs-xmobar
>>
>> +1
>
> Why do you think it's good to not have a port named the same as an
> application?

Normally I would object to something like this but in this case being that
it is about Haskell applications, the change helps users locate all of the
Haskell related ports quicker. Its almost as if the hs-* ports were in
their own category like the ports-mgmt tools are. For another part
upgrading these will also be a slight bit smoother and locating what
Haskell packages you have on your system will be easier just specifying
hs-* to a upgrade tool or to pkg_de[lete|install].

Regards,

--

  jhell