Users and groups kept after a port deinstallation

Garrett Cooper yaneurabeya at gmail.com
Mon May 24 16:27:08 UTC 2010

On May 24, 2010, at 9:22 AM, Alexander Churanov wrote:

> 2010/5/23 jhell <jhell at dataix.net>:
>> That shouldn't actually be to hard. If a utility like the three main upgrade
>> tools that are being used the most right now would export a variable for say
>> "UPGRADING=yes" then the uninstall script could check against that to decide
>> whether or not the port is being removed or upgraded and make the proper
>> decision while alerting the admin to whats going on.
>
> Folks,
>
> May be is' better to add another make target, called "update", which
> would invoke "deinstall", followed by "reinstall"? This would
> encapsulate the mechanism inside port.mk.

	I'm going to have toe disagree with you on this. Using pkg_install with the appropriate install/deinstall scripts would better solve the installation and deletion scenarios properly (especially because adding code like this to port.mk would be haphazard in cases where you need to specify a specific DESTDIR, PREFIX, etc).
Thanks,
-Garrett