new upstream tracker (linuxtesting.org)

Garrett Cooper yanefbsd at gmail.com
Sat May 22 21:32:44 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 12:58 PM, Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The tool itself is very young and is not well documented yet. Although
>>> the first version has been recently released under dual GNU GPL and LGPL
>>> licenses:
>>> http://ispras.linuxfoundation.org/index.php/Upstream_Tracker
>>> We are not recommended to use this version of the tool by yourself. Very
>>> soon we will release 1.1 version containing a lot of bug fixes and new
>>> features.
>>
>> Unfortunately this could only be added to the base system as a port
>> today as it depends on perl (something that was tossed from the base
>> system many moons ago because of cross-building issues). I'll poke
>> around at the software and port it to FreeBSD because it looks
>> interesting though and does provide a relatively simple interface for
>> digesting test results.
>
> There are several portability issues with the perl scripts that should
> be resolved for this to be usable outside of Linux. I'll file bugs for
> these bits.

>>> Provide, please, the list of necessary libraries.

    Wow... there's so much grown code in this project that it quite
frankly scares me (20k lines of perl code... yikes). I need to look
into implementing a clean design with my ballista rewrite in python,
because the lack of modularity and the number of gcc-isms and
linux-isms in this isn't really super portable. But that's several
months or maybe a year down the line.
Thanks,
-Garrett