GPLv3-licensed ports

Charlie Kester corky1951 at comcast.net
Wed May 19 18:54:11 UTC 2010

On Wed 19 May 2010 at 05:10:49 PDT jhell wrote:
>Adding to this bundle of madness...
>
>I believe that it would be best practice to keep ports/LEGAL up-to-date
>with this list.
>
>Those who already have ports on a machine may find it more usefull to
>find them there.
>
>Quoting ports/LEGAL:
>"Some of the ports in this directory have restrictive copyrights" and
>GPLv3 I believe certainly would fall under that category.

Yes, I don't what the original legal concerns were that led to the wiki
page, but I know that many FreeBSD users are wary of GPLv3.  So it makes
sense to let them know which ports are licensed that way.

After checking the COPYING files, some more of my ports for the list:

devel/gengetopt
devel/libYGP
sysutils/iextract
sysutils/gaffitter

The ports in the devel category are especially noteworthy,
since (if I understand correctly) their license will infect anything
built with them.

Is ports/LEGAL prominent enough?  Should I also add something to the pkg-descr?