GPLv3-licensed ports

Vitaly Magerya vmagerya at gmail.com
Wed May 19 11:47:00 UTC 2010

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
>> I don't understand the purpose of that list though. What does "legal
>> decisions regarding the use of GPLv3 in our ports system" mean?
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/quick-guide-gplv3.html  :
>  ( BSD License is NOT compatible to GPL v3 ... , please see figure , if I
> understand it correctly . )

No, 3-clause BSD license is compatible with GPLv3 [1] (you can follow
multiple arrows on that figure). You can combine BSD-licensed code with
GPLv3-licensed code and either use it privately or redistribute it under
GPLv3. Pretty much the same as with GPLv2.

This actually implies that the packages and possibly the patches in GPL
ports are covered by GPL too... hence the "legal decision" I guess. OK.

[1] 4-clause BSD is incompatible with both GPLv2 and GPLv3.