preferred place for system-wide config files

Anonymous swell.k at gmail.com
Tue May 18 21:57:30 UTC 2010

Wesley Shields <wxs at FreeBSD.org> writes:

> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 01:21:01PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
>> In the world where PREFIX and LOCALBASE are different, PREFIX cannot be
>> relied on to exist after the port is installed. Therefore regarding
>> configuration files that are not installed by the port the thing
>> installed (for example portmaster) should look for its configuration
>> files in LOCALBASE.
>
> Yes, I agree with this.

This is ambiguous. Why PREFIX persistence is relevant here when we're
talking about one port and not about collaboration of several ports?

I can't understand why we should consider PREFIX absence here. Because,
if it is absent then there is *no* port installed, too. The issue
becomes moot: should a non-installed port look for files in
LOCALBASE/etc or not? Besides, in case of ports that don't have any
dependencies (e.g. portmaster) LOCALBASE is same as PREFIX because it
may not exist prior installation, too. So, they either both exist or
both do not exist in such case.