Dixit port bad management

Stacy Millions stacy at Millions.Ca
Fri May 7 01:57:10 UTC 2010

Mihai Militaru wrote:
> Sarcasm may not be an excuse for an irrational behavior. I noted this
> "suprematism" he's talking about as well, although I'd not call it like
> that - it assumes a superiority - but an unnecessary hubris.
> Most questions I investigated since I'm on this system have been
> answered already here and there on the internet by some maintainers,
> things like: "go read the Bible", "it is a problem with your hardware",
> "you've done something wrong." or no answer. Note the period after
> "wrong".

Allow me to provide another perspective. I maintain a number of ports in
my private ports tree. I find the FreeBSD ports system to be a very
convenient way for me to maintain software that I use on my systems.
None of these ports have been committed to (or submitted to be committed
to) the FreeBSD ports tree. Why? Quite simply, I don't want the headache
of supporting everyone+dog.

Just because I ported the software to run on FreeBSD does not mean I am
prepared to support every combination of FreeBSD release and hardware
and configuration. Just because it works for me doesn't mean it will
work for you; or that I should be obliged to make it work for you.

Some of the ports in my private tree I no longer use, but if I had
released any of these ports, someone somewhere would be asking me to
update the port to the most recent release or fix a bug they found, or
to help them figure out why it won't work on their system (which happens
to be a sparc running CURRENT). Well guess what, I don't run current and
I don't have sparc hardware.

>                          but that assumes that users who are not
> expert should be helped with tips, advices quickstarts

But why should it be the responsibility of the port maintainer to do
this? They didn't write the software, they ported it to FreeBSD. In all
likelihood they, like you, only want to use the software, so they
created a port and thinking that it might help someone else, they
released it. And, as we know, no good deed goes unpunished.

> but a lot of them simply don't work, in other words they're empty
> advertising.

How's this, if my port fails to work for you, I will gladly refund to
you ten times what you have paid me for the port.

>                                                      - eg. a simple
> unanswered question about openssl

Are you saying that openssl didn't work or you had a question about how
to use it? I would have a hard time believing that it didn't work and
this would be the wrong forum to ask a question about how to use
openssl; the openssl users list would be a much better place to ask.

-stacy