portmaster stopped finding dependent ports if non-standard PORTSDIR

John Marshall john.marshall at riverwillow.com.au
Thu May 6 11:36:46 UTC 2010

On Wed, 05 May 2010, 23:13 -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 5/5/2010 6:58 PM, John Marshall wrote:
> > Yesterday I updated ports on my notebook (8.0-RELEASE-p2), took a deep
> > breath, used portmaster to upgrade xorg to 7.5 (portmaster -D xorg-7.4_4)
> > - ran without a hitch.
> >
> > Then, I upgraded portmaster (portmaster -D portmaster) - also no
> > problems.
>
> Both good news. :) Although generally you should update a new portmaster
> version first before upgrading other stuff ...

I "always" upgrade portmaster first.  This time the list of update
candidates was several screens long: I knew upgrading xorg would clear
most of that and didn't discover that portmaster was in the list until
then.  I'm really glad I didn't upgrade portmaster first this time :-)

> > Then, I tried to upgrade jpeg...
> >

> So a couple of questions. What does:
> make BEFOREPORTMK=bpm -f/usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk -V PORTSDIR

/build/ports

> return? And do you have an actual /usr/ports directory on the box where
> PORTSDIR is supposed to be /build/ports? If the answer to the first

No, but (as shown in my OP) /usr/ports is a softlink to /build/ports.

> Then send me the log.

<http://www.riverwillow.net.au/~john/pm/pm225.txt>

Thanks for looking at this.

--