Status of Xorg 7.5 and xfce4?

Richard Kuhns rjk at wintek.com
Wed May 5 14:16:34 UTC 2010

On 05/05/10 09:50, Ondrej Majerech wrote:
> Richard Kuhns wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I've just updated the first of 3 machines running FreeBSD 8.0 as of a week or so
>> ago, and after the update I couldn't start my desktop. Googling revealed that
>> it's a known problem, but the only solution I could find was to delete
>> xfce4-session. While doing so allows me to use my desktop again, it's obviously
>> not the best answer.
>>
>> Has there been any progress on fixing this problem? I don't want to update the
>> other machines until it's resolved.
>>
>> I'll be happy to help with any testing and/or supplying more details about my
>> setup. At this moment, though, there's nothing to add that isn't already in the
>> mailing list archives.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> I didn't experience any problems with Xorg 7.5 and Xfce4 on 8.0-STABLE.
>
> Try renaming your ~/.config/xfce4 and ~/.config/xfce4-session to
> something else and see if that allows you to use your desktop again.
> I've also seen a case where the culprit was /etc/X11/xorg.conf -- if you
> have autogenerated xorg.conf, try generating it again, or try removing
> stuff from it until it starts working. (If it does start working, of
> course.)
>
> ~ Ondra

I'll try renaming ~/.config/xfce4 when I get home this evening. I've already
removed ~/.config/xfce4-session to no effect, and I don't have an xorg.conf file
at all.

BTW, the machine I updated is running amd64; was your successful update amd64 or
i386?

Thanks for the suggestions.
--
Richard Kuhns <rjk at wintek.com>     My Desk:          765-269-8541
Wintek Corporation                 Internet Support: 765-269-8503