Old ports bugs analyzis [sic]

Jerry freebsd-ports.user at seibercom.net
Wed Mar 31 09:55:33 UTC 2010

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 01:39:35 -0700, Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd at gmail.com>
articulated:

> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 12:59 AM, Arseny Nasokin <eirnym at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On 31 Mar 2010, at 10:20, Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 9:36 PM, Arseny Nasokin <eirnym at gmail.com>
> >> wrote:
> >>>
> >>> On 31 Mar 2010, at 04:14, Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd at gmail.com>
> >>> wrote:

[snip, snip, snip, snip]

If I could just add my 2¢ to this discussion. I really appreciate the
fact that, in most cases anyway, FreeBSD makes available through its
maintainers a collection of up-to-date software. Now I realize that
FreeBSD does have a (in my opinion unreasonable) problem with certain
software in its base system that has an inappropriate GPL or whatever
license, though this usually causes the end user no great harm.

Now, many systems do not follow FreeBSD's lead. Some are still
supplying, as an example Postfix 2.1 or other software that has been
deprecated for over 3 years as their current versions. This causes
users on these systems to either work with old software or "roll their
own" which can lead to unforeseen problems. I would certainly hope that
FreeBSD does not fall into that abyss.

--
Jerry
FreeBSD-Ports.user at seibercom.net