Old ports bugs analyzis

Alexey Shuvaev shuvaev at physik.uni-wuerzburg.de
Tue Mar 30 19:14:22 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 01:05:39AM +0400, Eir Nym wrote:
> I work on creating system for system and ports autobuilder with custom
> settings for my FreeBSD machines. I know about many programs, which do
> same, but I don't like strange depends, which are not controlled by
> OPTIONS and some another
>
> I've analyse ports tree and want to say about.
> There're lot problems with ports to create per-port PRs
> manually.Common types of problems are listed here:
>
> 0) Main part of problems in tons of ports, which has hidden options
> (WITH & WITHOUT checking), but not using OPTIONS for them.
> 1) There many libraries added with BUILD&RUN dependencies, not as LIB-DEPENDS.
> 2) Some ports has only BUILD depends to libraries, but links them dynamicly.
> 3) All(?) samba33 slaves define dependency as "samba33", and make
> warning me about master target redefinition when do something on them.
> 4) many ports define dependencies as
> "${.CURDIR}/../../<category>/<dep-port-name>"
> 5) And some adds trailing slash.
>
> I want fix these problems, but I have no much time to fix several
> thousands of ports. This work (include PR sending) needs about is 1-2
> month per 8-10 hours a day.

If the problems are so common, maybe there are not so many problems
at all? :)

> I put my analysys in several work files:
> I've removed ${PORTSDIR} from paths for readability in index files.
>
> http://freebsd.eroese.org/bsd.local.mk - different describe target
> (clean and simple)
> http://freebsd.eroese.org/portInfo.py - py-IDX maker. old, but enough version.
>
> http://freebsd.eroese.org/tag  - portsnap(8) tag
> http://freebsd.eroese.org/IDX - special maked IDX
> http://freebsd.eroese.org/py-IDX - human readable format of IDX, see
> py program for comments about types.

I have tried to understand what is in these files but have not managed
it completely.

The file py-IDX lists 2 of my ports, devel/slglade and
x11-toolkits/gtkdatabox as being fixed:
fix devel/slglade
fix x11-toolkits/gtkdatabox

Could you elaborate more what was 'fixed' in these 2 examples?

Thanks,
Alexey.