"stable" ports?

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Mon Mar 29 18:12:25 UTC 2010

On 29 March 2010, at 08:57, Ivan Voras wrote:

> In some cases the burdens are obvious - the maintainer(s) would need to
> e.g. maintain three versions of the ports - a random example would be
> e.g. X.Org 7.0 for 6.x, 7.2 for 7.x and 7.4 for 8.x. Another would be
> keeping PHP 5.2 for 7.x and 8.x and having 5.3 in the future
> (CURRENT/9.x) branch.

I am a bit concerned about your concept of maintain, being able to build a port successfully, does not necessarily mean it will work properly.  For example, qpopper (which I maintain) has an issue where one feature does not work properly on 64 bit machines where it works fine on 32 bit machines.  In addition, there are a number of other machine types that are currently not heavily used but might become so in the future.  Thats a lot of different combinations of hardware and OSs to keep running for the maintainers.