default binutils - linker 2.15 versus 2.20

CeDeROM tomek.cedro at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 00:21:44 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 7:19 AM, Rene Ladan <r.c.ladan at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/3/26 CeDeROM <tomek.cedro at gmail.com>:
>> Hello world!
>>
>> I have problems building applications requiring ld 2.20 (located at
>> /usr/local/bin) where ld 2.15 (located at /usr/bin) is being invoked
>> with c++ (gcc4.2.1). Why there are two linkers on the system? Is it
>> possible to update the default linker to version 2.20?
>>
> An upgrade is not possible because binutils switched to GPL3 after
> version 2.17 and GLP3 code is not allowed in the base system.  One
> possible solution would be to tell the applications to use
> /usr/local/bin/ld explicitly.

Hello Rene! Thank you for this information, but this complicates my
build process dramaticaly. Maybe you know how to force /usr/bin/c++ to
use /usr/local/bin/ld instead of /usr/local/bin (possibly executable
from a port build process)..? Someone had to have similar problem
before - to use newer linker than the system default...

Best regards,
Tomek