python and HUGE_STACK_SIZE

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 05:07:16 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 5:50 PM, Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:

> I've run and written quite a bit of Python (including Trac, Mailman, the
> Python IDE, our own custom stuff [like some log munging and web processing
> stuff], and even a few graphical Python games) without ever turning
> HUGE_STACK_SIZE on.
>
> I don't have any objection to turning it on, but it's not needed by default
> for most things.  YMMV.

Yes, I've had the same experience.  When doing socket level python stuff,
I've had to increase the buffer size, which seems to be at least indirectly
related to stack size but setting it manually has been easy enough.  Are
there any negative repercussions to turning on huge ie like would scripts
start using more memory, or is just giving them the ability to use it
without explicitly setting it?

--
Adam Vande More