curl, c-ares, and IPv6

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Mon Mar 22 11:06:01 UTC 2010

Hi,

If this is of interest to anybody, I just committed an update to
the c-ares asynchronous DNS resolver library, and also a little change
to the cURL port, finally allowing it to do async DNS lookups when
IPv6 support is enabled.

I intend to turn IPv6 support on by default for the upcoming
curl-7.20.0 update in a couple of days.  If anybody has any strong
reasons why this should not be done[1], please speak up now :)

G'luck,
Peter

[1] I mean, besides the obvious "one more DNS query and a failed
connect() call" - too many other applications have done this by
default for the past five, if not ten, years, and there's a growing
number of instalations (well, okay, still a minority, but still...)
where the connect() call will *not* fail :)

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at space.bg    roam at FreeBSD.org
Key fingerprint	2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13