[Call for Testing] X.org 7.5 for FreeBSD

jhell jhell at DataIX.net
Sun Mar 21 09:45:08 UTC 2010

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 23:57, Robert Noland wrote:
In Message-Id: <1268625423.2608.348.camel at balrog.2hip.net>

> On Sun, 2010-03-14 at 15:02 -0600, Warren Block wrote:
>> On Sat, 13 Mar 2010, Robert Noland wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, now that agp seems to be working... I have created a port for the
>>> 2.9.1 version of the Intel driver.  You will need to uninstall the
>>> existing intel driver and install this one.  You still won't have drm,
>>> but should be a good bit better than vesa...
>>>
>>> http://people.freebsd.org/~rnoland/xf86-video-intel29.tar.gz
>>
>> Problem: after switching away from X with ctrl-alt-f4, on switching back
>> the screen is corrupted.  Stuff that's drawn on top of it after that
>> point is usually correct.  The clear areas on this image were caused by
>> GIMP redrawing them; before opening it, they were the same as the strip
>> on the right edge.
>
> Ok, I'm not surprised... I spent a little time playing with the 2.9.1
> driver on my g45 today.  Basically... It is horrid...

Damn! I rely on this driver for my main machine that has a i845G in it.
This thing tends to keep getting more shitty with every release. Or I
suppose I could cough it up to ancient hardware to... ;)

The last Intel driver I remember working seamlessly with my i845G with no
known side effects and without HAL was 2.3*. After that it somehow became
very dependent on HAL and if compiled without HAL would pretty much
disable you(being me) from switching from X to the console and back again
resulting in a reboot after a borked screen.

Now that I see the following I sort of understand whats happening with
this. And eventually this hardware will have to be replaced :(

> When Intel chose to remove all non-GEM support for the 2.8 series
> driver, what is actually going on is that it is calling into
> libdrm_intel's fake buffer manager and doing ton's of memcpy's.  It
> seems to be sort of ok as long as it is just basic 2d, but enable
> composite in metacity and it falls on it's face...  Granted all of my
> machines run with WITNESS and INVARIANTS, but you can almost count the
> pixels as they are drawn...
>
> I was thinking that Intel had actually killed the fake buffer manager as
> well, but it looks like it does still exist in libdrm git.  Perhaps it
> was that they removed it from mesa.  At any rate, they don't deny that
> it is broken, nor do they test it or have any intention of fixing it...
>
> The only reason for using the 2.9.1 driver that I can think of is if you
> have an Ironlake chipset, which isn't supported in 2.7.1.  I now have to
> decide whether to spend time back porting Ironlake support to 2.7.1 or
> spend time on GEM.
>
> robert.
>
>> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/xorg7.5/grab.png
>>
>> -Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA

Regards,

--

  jhell