[Call for Testing] X.org 7.5 for FreeBSD

Gary Jennejohn gary.jennejohn at freenet.de
Fri Mar 19 10:03:52 UTC 2010

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 22:20:23 +0100
Torfinn Ingolfsen <tingox at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 10:16 PM, Adam Vande More <amvandemore at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 4:12 PM, Torfinn Ingolfsen <tingox at gmail.com>wrote:
> >

> >> Well, it says:
> >> process 36926: arguments to dbus_message_new_signal() were incorrect,
> >> assertion
> >> "_dbus_check_is_valid_path (path)" failed in file dbus-message.c line
> >> 1165.
> >> This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.
> >>  D-Bus is not compiled with backtrace support so unable to print a
> >> backtrace
> >>
> >> I don't know if that message is a red herring or not.
> >> I recompiled dbus with:
> >> make -DWITH_DEBUG all deinstall reinstall
> >>
> >> But that didn't help a bit.
> >>

> > Did you restart dbus after that?
> >

> Yes, I did. But I understand the question. :-)

[I trimmed Cc]

Looking at dbus-memory.c it checks whether DBUS_MALLOC_BACKTRACES is set
in its environment.  If it is, it will try to do a backtrace.

Unfortunately, the pre-requisites for actually doing the backtrace
aren't met with FreeBSD (HAVE_BACKTRACE and DBUS_BUILT_R_DYNAMIC
defined in config.h) so it won't work anyway.

It is possible to turn off all checking by defining DBUS_DISABLE_CHECKS
in config.h _before_ compiling dbus, but that may be a bad idea.

Anyway, there's alreay /* #undef DBUS_DISABLE_CHECKS */ in config.h
so you could theoretically try this out:

a) make configure
b) edit work/dbus-1.2.16/config.h and #define DBUS_DISABLE_CHECKS there
c) reinstall dbus
d) see what happens

No guarantees and use at you own risk, etc.

---
Gary Jennejohn