correct location for third party /var files

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Mar 18 07:53:46 UTC 2010

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010, Thomas-Martin Seck wrote:
> When I started maintaining ports in 2004, the (or at least my) goal was
> to avoid absolute paths in pkg-plist like the plague, that is why I do
> not bother to use something /var/cache/squid or /var/log/squid instead
> of PREFIX/squid/{logs,cache}. There is IMHO nothing wrong with storing
> variable data in $PREFIX/portname/ as long as this is sensibly done.
> $PREFIX/portname/var or $PREFIX/var/portname on the other hand is
> usually just a sign of sloppy porting and should be fixed.
>
> Trying to separate static and variable data and scattering said data
> across filesystems just for the sake of it or for arcane aesthetic
> reasons is - IMO - not really helpful for the user.

I disagree strongly. hier(7) exists for a reason. I have always set up
systems to make a clear distinction between partitions that will be more
or less "static" and those that will be actively written to. This saves a
lot of time NOT having to rebuild a system after a crash because the
essential elements are still healthy.

Your personal feelings about it don't really enter in. If you don't
understand or don't agree with a policy feel free to discuss it. Choosing
to ignore it because you don't like it isn't really an option.

Doug

 			-- Pablo Picasso