cvs commit: ports/net-im Makefile ports/net-im/pino Makefile distinfo pkg-descr pkg-plist

Alexey Dokuchaev danfe at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 15 16:27:01 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 03:32:17PM +0100, Martin Wilke wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 02:18:20PM +0000, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:

> > > So you want me repocopy all these ?
> > >
> > > net/py-twitter            A python wrapper around the Twitter API
> > > net/rubygem-rubytter      A simple twitter library
> > > net/rubygem-twitter       Command line twits and an API wrapper
> > > net/rubygem-twitter4r     Twitter client API in pure Ruby
> > > net/twitux                GNOME client for Twitter
> > > net-im/pidgin-twitter     A pidgin plugin to help twitting via pidgin
> > > net-im/qwit               A Qt4-based lightweight Twitter client
> > > net-im/qwit-devel         A Qt4-based lightweight Twitter client
> > > net-im/rubygem-termtter   A terminal based twitter client
> > > net-im/ttytter            Command-line Twitter client in Perl
> > > net-im/twirssi            Twitter script to irssi
> > > net-im/twitmail           Curses-based mail-like interface to twitter
> >
> > No, of course not, that's not what I said.  I'm talking only about that
> > 1) we probably need to decide where we put Twitter-like and other
> > microblogging stuff from now on; and 2) we might move ports that do not
> > require repocopies.
>
> I agree with you,
>
> What do you think about net-im as main category and www as second
> category?  And if we get more social programs maybe a virtual
> category for social tools?

Touch choice, I would say.  As it is sometimes described as "SMS of the
Internet", both `net-im' and `www' seem to be appropriate categories.
Twitter might be viewed as some Web-2.0'ish mix of IRC+ICQ+SMS, which
kinda votes for `net-im', but recently lots of new sites started to use
Twitter to collect people's opinions on #sometopic, which IMHO makes it
more of webblog/commentary instrument of the Web, thus asking for `www'
category (of course, we are still talking about short and instant
messages, so `net-im' still makes sense).  I'm, frankly, not quite sure
myself.  I've CCed ports@ to see what other people have to say, I hope
you don't mind.

./danfe