[Cherokee] Cherokee Web Server version in ports tree

Diego Schulz dschulz at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 13:33:38 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Michiel van Es <mve at pcintelligence.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know if it is a problem but I also found out that the install does
> not create a cherokee user on freebsd and that cherokee is running as root
> default on freebsd...

Yes, I noticed that too. I also changed the user manually from the
admin interface.

> Security wise it does not sound as a good idea to let it run as root ;)
> (I know I can change it manually but it would be nice that the installer
> installs the cherokee user and set the permissions right and then startup as
> cherokee user).

I think it would be easier to reuse the standard www user (already
registered in ports/UIDs and ports/GIDs,
instead of creating a 'cherokee:cherokee' user/group. Please note that
www:www user/group has nothing apache specific.
Reusing www:www may be a concern when running apache and cherokee in
the same installation, though.
Who needs Apache anyway? ;)

> Kind regards,
>
> Michiel