editors/joe + textproc/aspell: dependency problem?

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Mon Mar 8 12:27:07 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 12:50:05PM +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just csupped fresh ports on a new stable/8 box, installed
> textproc/aspell-without-dicten (i.e. with WITHOUT_DICTEN=YES)
> and then proceeded to install editors/joe.  Both installed
> successfully, as far as I can tell.  There were no error
> messages, and joe seems to work fine.  But ...
>
> joe has a dependency on aspell (both build dependency _and_
> run dependency), so I expected it to be recorded in the
> package database.  But it isn't.  pkg_info -r joe\* and
> pkg_info -R aspell\* don't report this dependency.
>
> While building joe, it _does_ display that it depends on
> aspell, and it correctly reports it as "found".  It also
> depends in libiconv, which _is_ correctly recorded in the
> package database.
>
> Am I doing something wrong, or is there a bug somewhere?

If there is a bug it is in the ports system in general when a given
dependency can be fulfilled by more than one port.

If a port declares that it depends on file/library/whatever "foo" from
the port "bar", but you have "foo" installed from the port "baz" then
the dependency check will be fine (since it finds "foo") but when the
dependency should be registered in the package database it will try to
register a dependency on the package "bar", which is not installed, and
then no dependency is registered.
(In your case "foo" = "/usr/local/bin/aspell", "bar" = "textproc/aspell",
and "baz" = "textproc/aspell-without-dicten".)

It might be better if a dependency was registered on the package that
the depended-on file actually was installed from, but this is currently
not done.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson