tabstop setting for port Makefiles

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Tue Jun 29 15:12:26 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 03:52:56PM +0100, Chris Rees wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> >From bsd.port.mk:
>
> [chris at amnesiac]~% head /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk |tail -n 1
> # Please view me with 4 column tabs!
> [chris at amnesiac]~%
>
> However, the Porter's Handbook [1] says:
>
> Note that [bsd.port.mk] uses a non-standard tab setting.
>
> So if it's non-standard, does that mean I should use 8-column tabs
> while creating/editing port Makefiles, or should I match the
> 'non-standard' bsd.port.mk?
>
> Or is it just personal preference and the committers don't care?

Uhm, the standard width of a horizontal tab is 8 characters.
Thus, bsd.port.mk's 4 characters *are* non-standard; when writing your
own ports, use an eight-character tab like the rest of the world ;)

Oh, my coat?  Nah, I'll get it myself, an asbestos suit is too heavy for
most people to lift anyway.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at space.bg    roam at ringlet.net    roam at FreeBSD.org
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.