Early CONFLICTS detection is POLA viloation?

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jun 27 18:22:12 UTC 2010

Hello, Freebsd-ports.

  I  understand,  that  this  change (ports/137855, bsd.port.mk:1.632)  was  made 6 months ago, but I've
 noticed it only now (twice in one day!).

  Am  I  only  person,  who  thinks,  that  this  change  is HUGE POLA
 violation?

  PR  says about "big tarball is downloaded and CONFLICTS are detected
 after  that,"  but I've have two more realistic scenarios, when early
 conflict  detection  is  VERY annoying. Thry are real-life scenarios,
 occured today for me in a row.

 (1)  I  have  `subversion'  port  installed, and want to `makesum' in
 updated subversion-freebsd port directory (because I'm maintainer and
 need  to update port with new version, which have new tarball). OOPS.
 I cannot even download new tarball -- confilct is detected.

 (2) I want upgrade perl from 5.8.x to 5.10.x. Type command:

 #portupgrade -rfo lang/petl5.10 perl-5.8.9_3

   Ooops, confilct is detected, upgraid failed. GRRRR!

   Maybe, early conflict detection should only print WARNING, and only
 install  target  should  be blocked by it, as everybody used for MANY
 years?

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev at FreeBSD.org>