New pkg-message[.in] guideline idea

David DEMELIER demelier.david at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 07:04:55 UTC 2010

2010/6/24 Janne Snabb <snabb at epipe.com>:
> On Wed, 23 Jun 2010, David DEMELIER wrote:
>
>> 2010/6/23 Janne Snabb <snabb at epipe.com>:
>>>
>>> I find it completely useless and plainly stupid to edit the
>>> pkg-messages of all ports to include lots of equal signs for tty-based
>>> formatting purposes.
>>
>> We can take a long time to do that (we don't have to do it quickly),
>> but it could be useful to standardize it for one reason :
>> You will see that it's a message from the port maintainer/submitter
>> and not from the program itself! Sometimes configure scripts stage say
>> some useless things to the user.
>
> You obviously did not get my point.
>
> I fully agree with you that displaying a line of equals signs on
> tty based interfaces to make the messages stand out from other crap
> when installing ports makes sense, but I STRONGLY oppose to the
> idea of putting this visual formatting in the actual message files.
> It is just not the right place to put it in.

I see, so maybe in the future you would like some tools that can print
the message, like a GTK+ dialog, QT dialog, or an other tool, if it's
your point I agree. I don't specially want a equal "==" line, I would
just something consistent, why not : nothing ? Yes we can just print
the text without any visual characters, and the [future] tool will
print the message as it want.

--
Demelier David